Wednesday, August 10, 2011

One Month

Well, we've made it 30 + days and the baby is still alive. Whew! It's been a crazy month. The longest of my life? Hmm. Maybe not, but definitely in the running. Now that it's over, I can say the typical "OMG it went so fast!" but I clearly remember thinking on many an occasion "Everyone says this goes by so fast....when does that start?" In any case, we're into month 2 now and things are getting easier. Or maybe I'm just accustomed to functioning on 4 hours of sleep already...in any case, here he is at one month old: What did we accomplish in the first month (other than keeping him alive, which is a feat in and of itself)? Well, not really anything more exciting than the actual birthing part. He did catch onto breastfeeding pretty easily, though the first couple of attempts at the hospital were hit and miss(thank god for knowledgeable nurses!). He's a champ at it nowadays, and I think that if he were left up to his own devices he'd eat all the time. Mastering the nursing thing is about it, though, as far as accomplishments go. I mean, that is, unless you count getting cuter and cuter by the day an accomplishment. Which it well should be! I mean, look at this baby:How freaking cute is he? Granted I'm a little bit biased, but he really is freaking precious. Everything he does is cute. he's even cute when he sleeps:
Speaking of which, he does seem to be getting better at the whole sleeping thing. There is usually at least one 4 hour stretch at night that his dad and I are both able to sleep, and that usually falls between midnight and 4 am. Being at work by 6 am for two years has trained me to be up around 4 anyway, so I guess it works. I've been pretty bad about bringing him into the bed with me in the mornings, though, and not surprisingly, he loves to sleep in my bed. It's amazing how much of a bed such a little thing can take up. And along the same lines of spoiling my child, turns out he loves the carrier too:
This thing allows me to get so much done! And of course he falls asleep within minutes of putting him in it and then I can't get him out without waking him up again, so he may or may not have slept in the carrier while it laid on the couch on more than one occasion. Don't judge.

Colt made his first road trip during his first 30 days on Earth too. We headed north for Shnookie Shnook's wedding. I'll be posting pictures from that affair later, but I would like to take this opportunity to say that traveling with an infant was not nearly the clusterf*ck I thought it would be. I figure that's mostly because IF is only three hours away, and Colt eats just about every three hours, so he slept most of the way up AND most of the way back. Lucky! Of course there was plenty of pass-the-baby going on, and vigilant as we are, we did manage to get four generations pictures with both sides of my family. Excellent :)

So that's it for now, but pictures of the baby are piling up on my phone more and more every day, so more to come soon.

No comments: