Thursday, January 05, 2012

Good Riddance 2011 - Hello 2012!

I have been trying like the dickens to get this post out for days. A couple of days ago I had it all written up and everything, then Blogger had an epic fail and lost it. So I said eff this and decided then and there not to do it at all. Obviously I've changed my decision, because here I am. I am opting to try again now because I have already arrived, bright eyed and bushy tailed at 5:30 a.m. on a Thursday, to work on my day off (gotta get those dollar bills, y'all). I wish I could honestly blame the Baby Boy for waking up at 3:30 a.m. while he's sleeping in my bedroom (he knows I'm there, so he won't go back to sleep), but I know it's not his fault that I put him to bed at 7 p.m. thinking he'd wake up again around 9, as he usually does, for a bath and more food and then letting him continue sleeping when he didn't wake up on his own. The poor boy is hungry! I actually fed him twice before I came to work, and I'm only hoping that he went back to sleep after the second bottle.

Anyway! 2011 is long gone, and yet its still causing me issues thanks to this post. I'm thinking now (because it's January 5) that I don't really need to review the year in detail, because you all have been following me all year, right? Right. We all know that my 2011 was all about the Baby Boy, as we found out on January 19 that he was on his way. He was born on July 8, one week past his due date, at 7 lb 7 0z and 20 inches long. The rest is, literally, history! And it's here, on this blog for you to enjoy if you need a refresher ;-)

It is definitely worth noting that C and I successfully launched and went onto publishe six issues of Ingredients Magazine in 2011, starting in June. That's right, six issues published while dealing with a newborn. How do you like them apples?

Oh, there is one more thing about 2011 that cannot be overlooked: C and I got engaged on December 15. Check it out:

Bam. It's a portugese cut peridot if you are wondering, in white gold with white diamonds in the setting. I think that the colored stone throws people off because no one expects an engagement ring to be anything other than a diamond. In my mind, diamonds are overpriced and undersized. I wanted something BIG and colorful, because you know that's how I roll. The peridot is August's birthstone, and they are formed in volcanic eruptions. C has a thing for volcanos, and even has some raw peridot from a volcano in New Mexico. He was concerned about buying a peridot ring because they aren't always the bright green color they should be. As you can see, we found one with great color :)

So that's all there is to be said about 2011. Now it's full steam ahead onto 2012, which I think is going to be awesome. It's starting out with a trip to Canyon Lake, TX this month to meet Chris's grandma, Honey GG (that's greatgrandma for you folks playing along at home). Yes, we are flying with the baby. No, I'm not at all excited about it (the traveling part, that is. Being there will be awesome). Yes, it will be worth it, though, for Honey GG to meet her first great-grandbaby and grand-daughter-in-law (is that a thing? It is now). Interesting note: Honey GG has a grandbaby and a great-grandbaby that are practically the same age. Her grandbaby was due at the same time as the Baby Boy but ended up being 2 months premature.

2012 is going to be another baby year, with just about every mom I know having second (or third) babies! My older sister is having another baby boy in May (she really wanted a girl, but honestly I'm kind of selfishly stoked that it's a boy so that I can give her all of my boy's barely-used baby clothes as he grows out of them. Does that make me a dick? Probably). And The Bestie is having another little girl in June, so I've got at least two baby blankets to be getting started on ASAP. I can't even tell you how many other women I know are due in 2012 because counting them would take a lot of mental power that I just don't have available at the moment. But there's a lot! And honestly I'm pretty stoked about them all :)

2012 also has in store: a marriage, obviously, since we're like officially engaged and what not now. Official ceremony will probably take place at the SL Courthouse at some point in the Spring (if you are interested in attending let me know and I will keep you posted). Also, a few trips to Albuquerque to spend Baby's first birthday and his second Christmas at Grandmommy's house. I hope we also get the chance to hit up some of my favorite spots: Bear Lake, Moab, St. George, Vegas, possibly even Lake Powell (convincing Dad to haul the boat down there may be easier this year than it has been in past years). And I'd really like to spend more time outdoors this year, so I guess you can count that as my one New Years Resolution. I will shortly be acquiring a new baby carrier (the old one lost a strap and is now useless), so we'll be putting it to good use in 2012.

By the end of this year my baby boy will be nearly 18 months old. It blows my mind to think of all the growing he'll do between now (6 months this coming Sunday) and then. I guess it's a really good thing we finally bought a new camera, because I'll be taking lots and LOTS of pics in 2012. Now there's a resolution I will have no problem keeping!

So, peace and love and puppy dogs and flowers and rainbows for all of you in 2012!

No comments: