Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Birthday in New Mexico!

My baby boy is not a baby any more. He's a little boy, now, and technically a toddler, so he's all over the damn place! He turned 1 on July 8, a day we spent exploring Grandmommy's house while C was violently ill. C was, in fact, violently ill for four of the six days we spent in New Mexico, and we ended up staying an extra day longer than we'd planned. Aside from Dad being sick the whole time, though, it was a great trip. I got a chance to get to know my MIL and her partner better, and they got to spend quality time watching the baby practice walking (by the time we left he was a pro). I totally lucked out when it comes to in-laws, by the way. Colt's grandmoms and his great grandparents are freaking awesome.
She loves his guts.

In case you're wondering (I know you are), it's a 12 hour drive.
12 hours of this. More or less. Except through American Fork Canyon, which was beautiful and terrifying. Okay, it wasn't that bad, but it would be in any kind of weather besides sunny with occasional smoke. We did it all in one day.
He was a champ! I mean, it took us 12 hours, and my inside information tells me that without a child it can be done in 9 to 9.5 hours. So, with a child, maybe we did make good time, maybe we didn't. All I know is that it took us 12 hours both ways. And that my car gets AWESOME gas mileage on the freeway (perhaps bc I was going the posted speed limit most of the way....).

We did, eventually, throw a the little dude a birthday party. Grandmommy bought two cakes! And a ton of gifts. And he got the bomb ride from our newest friends, the Fosdicks.
Beep beep! And don't worry, he figured out how to climb off of it himself within minutes. We're still working on getting on. His poor little legs are just short a bit short is all ;) It did take him about four days to figure out how to crawl through our clever baby gate, though.













Also, Spongebob pajamas are proof that this guy looks adorable in ANYTHING. Heaven help us if he has a sister. Anyway. He got lots of other stuff, and spent most of the days wandering around the living room looking at things he was under strict orders not to touch (ps, he listens to "NO" pretty well about 75 percent of the time) and treating the floor like his own personal dust buffet. Can anyone tell me how to break a baby of the putting-everything-in-his-mouth habit? I've about given up on getting anything that makes it all the way in out on account of the fact that he's got teeth and now knows how to use them.

The party was awesome--pics are on facebook, and I'm sure we've all seen them already. Baby Boy loved the frosting! There is video of the whole thing, though I'm not entirely sure what it looks like because the 13 year old was in charge of the video camera while Grandmommy supervised the cake eating and Mom took the pictures. Perhaps I'll eventually get around to editing it into something watchable, but that's not likely going to be in the near future on account of the essay I should be writing right this second and similar scholarly/business pursuits of mine.

We will be throwing another party for the Baby Boy at home next weekend, so there will be more baby-covered-in-cake pictures to come!

No comments: