Tuesday, October 23, 2012

September 2012

I didn't realize it, but I've been collecting quite the array of pics of Colt in my To Be Blogged list. He's terribly cute these days, but he's hell on wheels as far as attitude goes. He wants what he wants and he wants it NOW! I suppose all kids are like this to some extent. I feel like the "terrible twos" started really early with this one. He doesn't want to sit quietly in the shopping cart any more, or even let me carry him to the car. He just wants to run free and wild without any regard to his own safety. Cars? Meh. I'm Superbaby. Seriously, the monstrosity that is a child-leash may just become our new reality. C is still vehemently opposed, but that's only because he doesn't go out in public with Colt as often as I do. Maybe I should force him to so that he finally gets on board....

Speaking of C: If you haven't heard yet, he's a mutant/way too stubborn to die. Remember when he got violently ill in Albuquerque? Turns out his appendix did burst while we were there, and all the while he was insisting that it was nothing more than stress and anxiety. Yeah, he's not allowed to decide when we go or don't go to the hospital any more.

So, the whole story reads thusly: He gets violently ill in Albuquerque, and then proceeds to lose about 45 pounds in a matter of six weeks. He was super fatigued and had very little appetite for a few months. Then, on a Sunday in October, he tells me he feels like he's having a relapse, so I insist he go to the InstaCare. They take his blood and schedule him for a CT scan on the following Thursday. The blood test revealed that he had an elevated white-blood cell count, but that could be anything.

Colt and I dropped C off at the clinic on that Thursday and headed to the park because, again, baby boy wants to run free and cannot be trusted in a waiting room full of old people. We were there for about an hour when C called and said "I might have to go into surgery now. They found a ton of abscesses in my abdomen and the clinic doc can't even find my appendix on the scans." The clinic doctor's eventual hypothesis was that C's appendix had burst, but the abscesses had kept the poison contained like a ziplock (which is, apparently, a medical term now).

Well, they put it out on the wire that a patient whose appendix burst three months ago need to know what was going on, and a surgeon who has seen it before stepped in and put C on the same antibiotics they use to treat anthrax exposure for two weeks. He's three days from being done with them, and they've made him feel all sorts of crappy over the last two weeks.

We got to sit down with the surgeon last Thursday, and he finally explained what actually happened. The abscesses are the result of infection, they aren't holding the infection in. The antibiotics are supposed to clear them up, and once the infection is gone they'll go in to remove what's left of C's appendix via outpatient procedure. His next CT scan is on Nov. 15, so we'll know more about when the surgery is actually going to be at that point.

Moral of the story? My husband is Wolverine's long-lost cousin and cannot be killed. I'm really okay with that.

Anyhow. I know you're all here for the goods and not for a gruesome description of C's health. So, here are the goods:

His hair is so awesome.
Tickle? (his Auntie T took this one)



This series cracks me up! He's pretending to sleep next to Gramma at Auntie's house.
Construction Colt! He's loving his giant legos...
He loves walking to McD's with Daddy for cheeseburgers!
I just can't get enough of that little face, even though he has started yelling at me pointedly.
Sleeping like an angel....it's the perfect disguise for a troublemaker.

No comments: